Nose ProblemFri, Oct 15th 1999
I have had this problem all my life (I am 39) - I bother the inside of my nose. I have had two nose operations due to this problem (yes, I am ashamed - several doctors have thought my deviated septum was due to breaking my nose on a diving board when I was 17 - only I knew better) Yes, I should have sought help long ago. I have two wonderful children and a highly supportive husband.. I sit here crying because my beautiful 8 year old daughter came to me with tears in her eyes this morning because she wanted to tell me that her nose was bleeding, for the 2nd time, due to her picking at it. I kissed her, sent her off to school and told her we would work this problem together. I must seek help now for her sake. I do not want her to suffer with this disorder as I have. I can find nothing on this on any web site. I have tried to quit this disorder and have been unsuccessful. She also sucks her thumb at home (not at school) as I did (quit at age 12). She is a 4th generation thumb sucker-we are working on this with gentle methods but have been unsuccessful. I am not nearly as worried about this as I am the nose picking-I do not know where to seek help for both of us...please if you can help me to know where to turn for help...
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.