Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities

Where people with disabilities thrive

We want people with disabilities and their families to feel like a part of our community, so Riverwood Center offers many services and supports designed just for them to help them improve their quality of life. Because we believe that everyone should have the chance to be happy and live a full and active life.

Riverwood Center has grown over the past 25 years, and so have the people we serve. We continue to offer care and service for children and adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities. Explore our Services section to see how Riverwood Center supports people with intellectual/developmental disabilities at work, at home and at play – all to help people with disabilities thrive.

Whether it's at home, at work or at play, our services are designed to help people grow, be independent and live well. You will have choices and options throughout the process. Everyone's plan is designed using what we call Person-Centered Planning and Self-Determination. That means each person's plan is created just for them, and they decide what they want to achieve.

What is an intellectual or developmental disability?

Each of us is born with a unique spark. The thing that makes us who we are. We have different abilities, personalities, strengths and weaknesses. But sometimes we need help. Some people are born with a disability and have a hard time doing things you may find easy. They may have a developmental disability. Riverwood Center is here to help.

Intellectual/developmental disabilities appear before someone is 22 years old. Autism, Down Syndrome and Cerebral Palsy are some of the types of intellectual/developmental disabilities.
If someone you know may have an intellectual/developmental disability, Riverwood Center may be able to help provide supports and services so they can thrive and enjoy life.

Riverwood has Access Centers in both the Benton Harbor and Niles Office. Riverwood Center Access Center Helpline is open 24-hours a day, every day of the year. Just call (800) 336-0341.